“A” Students teach, “B” Students end up working for “C” Students

If this offends anyone, I don’t care. The internet is a world for public opinion to be shared and this is my house to share it.

Dear College,

I hate you. OMG, FML, etc. I spent almost 100K on you and had many unforgetful moments, some moments I cant remember, and then other I wish I could forget. It seems like you are a great experience for socializing people for the real world. You allow us “kids” to embrace our freedom and become adults. But other than that…I memorized alot of stuff, took alot of tests, got up way to early on Tuesday and Thursday for 5 years…but now I feel kinda empty inside. Yeah, I have the piece of paper you gave me for all that time but there is nothing I can do with it. I dont feel any better than anyone else out there, I almost feel like its going to be a financial burden. You know what…I will just come back next year for another few years so I dont have to worry about any of this, and we can hang out so I can get another piece of paper (masters). Love you, miss you, and hopefully you become less expensive and teach me how to pay off all this money I owe you.

I value knowledge. It is the most important thing any human being can acquire in this lifetime. It is what separates us from each other and defines our roles in life, right? If you know how to build an atom bomb, and I can make the meanest cheeseburger at a drive-thru window, it would be a waste of this knowledge to switch roles.

The most I ever learned was from books, not from a person lecturing. I learned the most when I wanted to learn. I gained the most information when my mind was thirsty for educational value. I learned about business, I learned about management, I learned about how to deal with people and the power of positive thinking. Ive read books on every one of these topics and I learned the most just by reading a book. I didnt have to go through “History of the Western World” and take a 100 question final that would decide my grade. I picked up a book, sucked everything out of it and bettered myself.

How many people are graduating college right now and are just as lost as when they were at the start. Its like running a race, everyone hears the piercing sound of the start gun and then the world begins to turn. 4 years later, its like your shoes never moved from behind the start line. It feels like you havent even started yet… I don’t know what this feeling is like. I have never graduated college. I went to college for 1 year at Lee University, met some of the best people in my entire life, and left after 2 semesters with a 1.14 GPA. I got my degree in socializing. I knew everyone, or I should say everyone knew me. I was loud, obnoxious, and one of the few non-christians that used profanity at a privately funded christian school in eastern Tennessee. I stuck out like a sore thumb, but I saw what I didn’t want to be…slaves to the scholastic system of america. Its just another arm of the economy.

My point in this blog is knowledge is power, you can get it anyway you want. I’ve honestly learned more in the field. I learned alot from sales managers, and owners, and motivational speakers. They help you paint the picture to the road map that is your future. Set goals, measurable goals. Test yourself. Think outside the box. I think we have heard it all before. Nothing in this world says I am better than you because I don’t have a piece of paper hanging on my wall. And I am not better than you because I have no student loans and I am running a successful business.

Life is what you make it. You dont need a degree to be successful, you need you to be successful. Some people use the fact then dont have a degree as an excuse for mediocrity. Thats fine…you will be making the best cheeseburger at the drive-thru and I will be building my atom bomb. HAHA, just kidding. What I am trying to say is my favorite line I have ever used and I probably heard it from someone before I even realized it was archived in my brain.

Whats holding you back? The only thing holding you back is YOU.

Advertisements
About

A social conglomerate fighting for his voice to be heard and a way to motivate the world. Words are all that is between you and success. That and fear. Conquer fear and use the words to tell people about your triumph. You can always win.

Posted in Uncategorized
11 comments on ““A” Students teach, “B” Students end up working for “C” Students
  1. Sara says:

Of course, you know how I feel about this. There are always exceptions to the rule and there are many people who fulfill their dreams and achieve success without college. However, at the same time, college is the answer for many people, MDG!!! Obviously you do not need a degree to be successful in life all the time, but for many people…the degree helps.

• Gorman says:

You are correct…but what I like to show people is how the degree might actually hurt someone, set them back financially and not offer them the proper springboard they want to move forward. I value your opinion of course…and you are a perfect example of an “A” student… 🙂

2. Jill says:

ugh gorman what is really holding me back is that all these people want experience on top of a degree, and seriously how am i supposed to get the experience if no one will hire me?! and the fact that you need money to make money, it’s just very frustrating. however, you are a little inspiring, especially for a giant douche. ❤

3. Vicki says:

I think the biggest misconception is that college, or any educational institution, is a guarantee of learning or success. You made the statement that you learned more from books than from any instructor…while I’d argue that just means you haven’t had a life changing professor in your time, I’ll say that no one can learn unless he/she wants to. Going to college and going through the motions is a waste of everyone’s time and money. College isn’t about just the courses you take either…it’s about the life skills as well. I didn’t suddenly wake up learning how to juggle a full time job and full time load of courses…I learned to be responsible because parents or teachers weren’t holding my hand anymore telling me what I had to, like in high school…and it was either be an adult or fail out of school.

Anyway, I feel as though in today’s work world it’s not that the degree means “Hi, I took 120 hours in this this field so I’m smarter than someone who hasn’t.” It’s a rite of passage…it means you stuck with something long enough and came out alive with a piece of paper that proves it. Education is an ongoing life experience…most of it happens outside of a classroom. However I’ll be the first to admit that I’ve learned so much from the professors I’ve had if only because they infected me with their passion for what they teach…that passion will go a lot further than anything else. Also, some people get degrees because the hunger for knowledge is never satisfied for them. Education, for some, has nothing to do with their professional success or the money they make.

I don’t know that I can agree that earning a degree does someone more damage than good…no education is ever a waste. I also don’t know that I felt like I hadn’t even started my life upon graduating. Being put into the real world is a daunting task for anyone…but having a degree can give you some sort of comfort (yes, this is coming from an English major). Idk…college isn’t for everyone and that’s fine. However if people don’t want to go to college then they shouldn’t–but some do, then bemoan that it’s a waste and stupid and pointless whic seems silly. We all make our choices. College is there for those who want it…and companies have the right to ask for a degree. If that offends people, then apply elsewhere. Standing on a soapbox justifying why they’re smarter for not going to college won’t impress anyone imo…just seems like they’re defending a choice they should be comfortable with in the first place.

• Gorman says:

People tend to pick sides on this argument, obviously. Its not about right or wrong. I am standing up for people who didnt get their degree and feel lost without it. Thats not the case for them. Like you are saying its about finding yourself and having a life changing moment, it doesnt have to come from a professor. In my experience it came from me searching and finding. The same happens in college, it depends where you are when you are searching and what you do with what you find.

I agree that no education is a waste, the comment was more focused toward the graduates with their ears up in debt and no direction in life. They haven’t had that “finding themselves” experience. If only they could have gone back and found themselves before 100K in school loans, ya dig?

The English major had a typo but I wont dwell on that due to the sensitive nature of our friendship.

1. Companies miss out by narrowing their selection.
      2. I will defend my choice (that I am comfortable with) for all those people who arent comfortable with it so they have a little more confidence moving forward.
      3. A little condescending…eh vix?

• Dylan Liu says:

Actually I’d say a college degree is next to useless. Think of all the useless majors colleges have, art history, international relations, communications, english (unless your prelaw), creative writing. These are all soft subjects that one could easily learn on his/her own. Just because you go to college dosen’t mean your better than anyone, its just means you have a giant debt and learned a bunch of stuff thats completely useless. Yeah you can know bookloads of philosophy, but what are the chances you can become the next president? Oration is a skill you learn in the real world, and learning it in college dosent give you any advantage. I think the only degrees that are actually worth it are engineering majors, business majors(not management but like finance and accounting) and the science majors, law, and medicine. Anything outside of that is virtually useless and you might as well be spending your time getting work experience.

4. Vicki says:

I received my degree in English, but, it didn’t make me superhuman…if there’s a typo, it’s proof that I’m still human–which I don’t know that I’ve ever suggested otherwise. It doesn’t negate my opinion, but whatever…it’s the easiest target for people so I should be used to it.

as for the list:
    1. If they miss out, again, that’s their loss? Private companies have the right to create their standards plain and simple…why is that offensive or even matter? Do I get upset that I have a degree and apply for jobs that only require a high school diploma? No. I don’t even think about it. Or jobs that require an MBA when I’ll never have that? Nope.
    2. My point is that no choice needs to be defended. I dated a guy who constantly defended why he dropped out of school…to defend suggest there’s something to make excuses for. If you honestly feel you chose the right thing, why not be comfortable enough to let it speak for itself? After a while it sounds like rationalization to me.
    3. I honestly was trying to present my opinion in as honest and polite a way as possible…if you think that’s condescending, then you don’t know me. However, that remark also makes me feel as though my saying I have a degree and am happy with my choice is somehow offensive or condescending. How odd. Oh well…I guess I’ll know better to voice an opinion…although I thought that’s what the internet was for. Hmm.

5. Fraidy says:

mmmm, the newest debate just starting up. I’ve now run into a whole section of books on this very subject in the libraries, and I’m intrigued by this new grassroots movement Against higher education. The short of it is, yes, the higher education system has degraded itself into a big business, and as a result, the degrees are cheapened. Mind you, the schools had magnificent pressure from the states, who weaned them off their state funding – because if we have more college graduates, then everybody will make more money, which means we’ll bring in more taxes; so if we reduce the amount of money the schools recieve from thw state, the schools will invariably have to get more students in their programs, and graduate more students to validate what money we still hand out. It’s a remarkable bubble that’s about to burst, because our generation is now highly educated and highly unemployed – ironic, no? We got sold a bridge to nowhere!!

Something most of us might have forgotten is that the majority of small businesses and even large businesses out there are run by people who have little schooling but great social skills. Most of our degrees are only good within the academic field – this includes most sciences as well. Yes, you can move on to things like the oil companies, but as the schools cheapened their degrees, the companies realized the BS students stood for just that – BS. So they increased the minimum job standards to MS and phD, and then ask for experience on top of that.

Some of those in the field have indeed earned their degrees, but it was only because they went back after ten years, or because they did the degree over fifteen years – these people sympathize with the high school graduate with no college hopes but high ambition. College graduates? They refer to them with the pejorative term “College boy” and expect this graduate to have all the answers to every possible question in the world – in particular, all the answers only experience provides. And they really don’t like to hear the “educated” responses that disagree with their common knowledge – those answers piss them off the most!

I have now found the best educational system in the universe – the United States Air Force. It is primarily run by those people who have experience but no education – or had no hopes to get a college educaiton due to financial difficulties and apathetic high school attitudes. The book knowledge is fed to us through a funnel at a very high rate – the tests are comprehensive but in short, are nothing more than 25 question multiple guess tests with a minimum passing score between 70 and 80%. If you don’t make the grade, you get washed back. Don’t make it twice, you get washed out and get reclassed to a new job. Don’t make it thrice, you’re out of the Air Force – and in tight times like now, you fail twice and give a shitty attitude about it, they’ll get rid of you after two failures. And what job you get is determined by an aptitude test at the beginning. If you suck intellectually, yes, you can end up flipping burgers for the Air Force – but you’ll be the highest paid burger flipper in the world!!!

Once you finish the Air Force training [I grossed 40 credits in ten months through their system] you can complete the 20 credits you need via CLEP and free tuition to a local college to get the final 5 classes necessary to transform the training credits into a Associates degree from the Community College of the Air Force. At that point you only need another two or three years to get a Bachelors, paid for by the air force for active duty members, and the whole time the Air Force is PAYING YOU everything including room, board, meals and a monthly paycheck on top of that. Yes, the jobs at the end of the training come with risk, but when you end your first enlistment, you can put down 4 years of experience on your applications no matter where you go, regardless of how much of that time was actually in training, as time towards the careerfield you were in – or as general work experience. Did I also mention the MGI Bill, which members can apply towards their spouses and their children?

So my advice to young people today is to forget about college altogether unless uncle sam is paying it all via grants and scholarships; if you meet the qualifications, and there are some tough ones to meet mentally and physcially, you can have an extremely rewarding career as a member of the armed forces. And when you get out, you’ll be far ahead of where I am – I’m buried in debt; my brother has his BA, he has 8 years of AF experience on the job, and he does not have the 40k in student debt I do – and he’s 2 years younger.

food for thought.
    Ben
    P.S. Sorry, Vicki, my keyboard communication is atrocious – I apologize in advance for the pile of spelling mistakes in here.